Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tico's Breakfast and Lunch

Address:330 Reservation Rd, Ste C, Marina, CA 93933

Hours: Tuesday - Sunday 7am-3pm

Table Spice: Santa Barbara Pepper Sauce, Tobasco.

Ingredients:
  Outside - Potatoes, diced tomatoes, guacamole
  Inside - egg, sausage, tomato, cheese.
Price: $8.50

Alright, so let me preface this by saying that I fully expected  this restaurant to have some high quality breakfast burritos. I had heard from multiple sources that it had some fantastic breakfast items at reasonable prices. It is a smaller cafe, well kept with great service. The coffee definitely did the trick - nice and strong as it should be.

WELL, upon inspecting the menu so graciously laid out before me, I came to find that there in fact was no breakfast burrito on the menu. Really?? I feel like it is a cardinal sin to exclude a fairly easy yet quite popular item from any sort of breakfast menu. Determined to get what I came for, I kindly asked the waiter if they would be able to make me a breakfast burrito using the ingredients from one of the other menu items. He went back and asked the cooks if they had any tortillas, and as they did indeed have tortillas (that fact kind of confused me - why would you have tortillas at your restaurant when you do not have any items on the menu that use the tortillas? Well, maybe there was an item on the lunch portion), I was able to have a custom made breakfast burrito, seen below.


I was unsure how this guy was going to turn out, but after digging in I was quite surprised at the results. Again, I really like when my breakfast burrito has the home fries mixed into the burrito itself, but combined this was quite a good burrito. They loaded me up with lots of guacamole if you like that (I do not) and the ingredients within the burrito were well mixed, however lacking any sort of really strong flavor. Imagine ordering scrambled eggs, two sausage links and home fries and wrapping them up in a tortilla - that is essentially what I had. Still, any sort of pepper sauce really livens up a breakfast burrito and it turned out to be a really good meal.

Rating: ******* 7/10

I will definitely go back and see if they will make me another burrito, and if the results stay consistent I will definitely suggest that they add a breakfast burrito to the menu. Compliments to the chef!


No comments:

Post a Comment